Regional Team Qualification
Team Qualification Rules for the Houston Area Region Tournament
To be qualified for the Region Tournament both competitive teams and primary teams must complete the following general steps:
- Purchase/Renew your annual membership online at the National website by December 1, 2018.
- Register Online. Complete online TEAM registration and receive a confirmation email. Complete by December 15, 2018.
- One Judge* per Team. Provide a person to judge. This person must commit to THREE days, even if the team they represent does not advance:
- Judges training (half day or evening), February 9, 2019.
- The Region tournament (half day), March 9, 2019, and
- The State tournament (full day), April 6, 2019.
- Two 2-Hr Volunteers per team: Each team must provide at least one untrained person to volunteer for 2-3 hours for the Region tournament. Jobs can be pre-selected or assignments will be given the week before the tournament. Each untrained volunteer must check in at the volunteer check-in desk at the Region tournament for their team to be qualified to compete.
Tournament Staff (TS): For memberships with four or more teams, including primary teams the following applies. For every four teams, provide a Tournament Staff (TS) person who will commit to:
Attend a one-hour TS orientation meeting in January/February,
Help run the region tournament for a minimum of 6 hours.
1-3 teams 0 Tournament Staff Required
4-7 teams 1 Tournament Staff Required
8-11 teams 2 Tournament Staff Required
12-15 teams 3 Tournament Staff Required
16-19 teams 4 Tournament Staff Required
- Payment. Region tournament payment must be received by the published deadline. See Tournament Fee Payment Information for details.
All Team Rule for Multiple Memberships: Each MEMBERSHIP is required to fill every competitive problem per eligible division before purchasing a second membership from CCI. This is known as the “Full Membership Rule”. Before purchasing additional memberships, the Region Director must be contacted. Primary teams do not count toward the five required competitive teams. A third membership may be purchased once the first two memberships are full. A fourth membership may be purchased once the first three memberships are full. A fifth membership cannot be purchased by any given school.
Schools with grades that cover more than one division will be required to meet the “Full Membership Rule” for each division that will be using the second membership.
Schools fielding two or more teams in a problem may consider holding a school tournament to determine what teams will represent the school in their chosen problem at Region. Schools that choose this option must do so within the timelines set for the Regional tournament registration and fee payment. They can register a team and submit updated team information 3 weeks before tournament.
*Notes on judge volunteers:
- Pick a judge that you would be happy to have judge your team.
- Judges may not judge in the problem of the team they represent.
- Judges may not change their problem after they have been trained.
- Judges will NOT get time off to watch performances.
- Judges will be expected to assist at the State tournament regardless of whether the team they represent advances. This includes judges representing primary teams.
- Additional judges are welcome.
- All judges – new and experienced – MUST attend judge training each year. Coaches may not attend judge training.
- Judges must register online and will receive a confirmation email.
All Training & Tournament dates and deadlines are published on the TXOdyssey.org website. Check the website monthly between October and January for updates. Check weekly in February-March.